Examination of Conscience
Examination of Conscience Based on the Ten Commandments
1. I am the Lord your God. You shall have no false gods before me. Do I put God beforemy spouse? My children? My work? Do I believe that God loves me? Do I have any “false gods” in my life like money, fame, power, possessions? Have I been involved in fortunetelling, astrology, palm-reading, or witchcraft? Do I pray daily?
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. Do I use curse words? Have I made oaths or sworn promises to God that I haven’t kept? Have I allowed others to swear in my presence?
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord’s Day. Do I attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation? Do I avoid unnecessary work on Sundays? Do I avoid unnecessary shopping on Sundays?
4. Honor your father and mother. Do I show love to my parents, regardless of their age? Do I help them when I can? Do I respect my employer and others in authority? If I am a parent, have I given a bad example in word or deed to my children? Am I raising my children in the Catholic Faith?
5. You shall not kill. Have I killed or seriously injured anyone? Do I gossip? Have I had an abortion or helped someone get an abortion? Have I lost my temper, given in to anger, or harbored resentment against my neighbor? Do I bear grudges? Have I ever harmed anyone physically, mentally, or emotionally? Do I take care of the environment?
6. You shall not commit adultery. Have I used pornography? Have I watched movies that are overly violent or sexual? Have I consented to lustful thoughts? Have I masturbated? Have I had premarital sex? Have I treated anyone as an object, rather than a person? Do I eat or drink in excess? Have I lost sobriety through drunkenness or drug use?
7. You shall not steal. Have I stolen anything? Do I always give a full day’s work for a full day’s pay? Do I cheat in school or business? Am I fair in paying my employees? Am I honest in paying my taxes? Have I wasted time? Have I been generous in serving the poor?
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. Have I told a lie, even a white lie? Have I told lies to avoid getting in trouble? Have I revealed other people’s secrets? Have I failed to mind my own business? Have I accused someone falsely? Have I judged others harshly? Have I been prejudiced or discriminated against anyone?
9. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife. Have I been unfaithful to my spouse in either my actions or my thoughts? Have I used my wife or husband merely to satisfy my sexual urges? Have I acted inappropriately with those of the opposite sex?
10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s property. Have I envied anyone else’s possessions, money, fame, or success? Have I used more than my fair share of resources?